Ah, the joys of homeownership.
One of the bathrooms in my condo is unpermitted. The area had originally been the master bedroom’s walk-in closet, but the seller’s deceased husband put a toilet and stall shower where the walk-in was supposed to be.
It was the first of many do-it-yourself projects I learned the deceased husband had accomplished.
And thus my misadventures began. After dealing with the exN’s crazy notions about the appropriate courses of action for various home repairs and improvements, I felt equipped to manage whatever the deceased husband had decided to do.
At least I would be able to handle any nonsense I encountered on my own, doing things in a way that made sense.
The home inspection
Before agreeing to purchase my home I made sure everything in the bathroom was up to code, so I wouldn’t encounter permit issues in the future. Thankfully, it was actually done correctly. When I redo it I won’t have to move any plumbing.
During the inspection, I also found out the “laundry room” had originally been storage space.
When the dryer was installed, it was set up so the dryer vented into the crawlspace underneath my unit. There were no vent lines carrying that hot air to the outside. I requested this be resolved in the repair addendum, and according to the emails and photos I saved, it was done.
I bought a new washer and dryer and was very excited for them to be delivered and installed yesterday. Reader, it did not go as planned.
1. The type of plug used for my dryer is outdated and out of code.
Not a big deal.
I’ll need an electrician to come replace it.
2. The vent doesn’t vent.
The deceased husband installed metal ducts underneath the unit so it appeared as though a dryer vent had been installed. This was a charade.
The “vent” isn’t actually a vent. It is a joke. The vent hose is stuck into a hole in the drywall. It isn’t connected to anything and isn’t even sealed.
3. The doorway to the laundry room is about an inch too narrow.
The old dryer cannot be removed. They must have removed the door frame to get the old washer and dryer set in. I found out my neighbor had the same problem when replacing her washer and dryer. So, at least I know the size of the doorway is because the unit was built in an odd way and not because of any shenanigans from the deceased husband.
Yesterday I was delighted to have nothing going on in my life (A delightfully boring existence). I’m sure I jinxed myself by openly expressing my exuberance.
So, I now have a small drama I can bitch about, and a project I need to get sorted.
Lesson learned! I’ll stick to complaining from now on.
It is not at all a surprise at this point, I’m sure, to learn no removal or delivery was allowed to take place yesterday.
I am stunned that I’ve been operating an ancient dryer in a situation with a huge fire risk for so long without incident.
I’m rather angry, too. A normal person wouldn’t suspect a homeowner might ever do something so monumentally stupid as to vent a dryer directly into insulation, but having just left the exN, I should have thought to look extra closely at anything I knew the deceased husband had done himself.
Regardless, I’ve confirmed that I can use HOA funds to get the vent situation sorted.
I’ll hire a handyman to remove the door frame before my rescheduled delivery date, then afterward, ask him to come back to replace it. Or, perhaps, I’ll widen the doorway completely, so this isn’t an issue for someone else somewhere down the line.
Frankly, being able to accomplish tasks in my home on my own, doing things in a logical manner without having to fight (and generally lose) about how things should get done, is a joy.
This is true even when things get a little rough.